Friday 20 July 2007

Of Regional Assemblies and Unitary Authorities

Questions here and elsewhere about whether I intend to stand for any new unitary authority in County Durham. Well, it would depend on how close the election was to those for the Westminster and European Parliaments, projects now so well-advanced nationally, and even beyond, that I couldn't get out of them even if I wanted to, which I most certainly don't.

But this is all academic: with the abolition even of the existing unelected Regional Assembly, and with the resounding public rejection of the County Council's proposal that it be made a unitary authority (which only made sense in terms of the revival of the regionalisation proposal, not to mention amounting to turkies calling for Christmas), I see no reason to believe that there is going to be a unitary authority in County Durham. Nor should there be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment