Thursday 10 June 2010

Charity Cases

Seventy-two communications (there were so many that I counted them) today telling me that the end of the Henry Jackson Society's charitable status was only a matter of time, would happen as soon as anyone bothered to complain officially, and so on. These were largely from people, many of whom I am astonished are readers of this blog, who were not really in a position to pursue the matter publicly.

A staggering telephone call from someone who really is someone - he made a reference that he knew I would get and thus know that it truly was he - and who I suppose can obtain the mobile number of anyone he wants. Anyway, the people who can obtain the mobile number of anyone they want have had their eye on neocon London for as long as there has been any neocon London, and not least have Liam Fox and Luke Coffey firmly in their sights. "Keep up the good work," and all that. Indeed I will, and I am delighted that the people who are paid to counteract threats to my country's security are taking most seriously the most serious such threat.

Whether I will be the man to take on the Henry Jackson Society before the Charity Commission, I am not so sure. Easy victory though apparently it would be. But I have still not ruled out trying to do something about the unlawful election spending that was the Northern Cross, published by a registered charity and mostly distributed via another one. Still, blame that rag if the Holy Father does not visit this Diocese. They know why.

Funnily enough, another poisonous publication that tried to take me on was subject to very similar visits from, unlike my interlocutors, decidedly less shady and more clearly defined representatives of civil authority. I was in hospital at the time. I am very proud of my enemies. But, again, I can see why the Holy Father cannot be seen to be associated even with an institution with which that publication merely pretends to have an official connection, although on Tuesday evening I was rather startled to be introduced as one of its "glittering ornaments". I am off there now for another evening. Although I cannot find my cigar cutter. What is the world coming to? Might I possibly borrow one from the people who can obtain the mobile number of anyone they want?

10 comments:

  1. When you were an undergrad your college's senior staff contained at least two very well-connected Arabists. One of them was a definite spook who your mates were let know you had a family connection to, but other students had no idea.

    That accounts for how whatever fallings out you have had with the place you have always been welcomed back as a prodigal son and are currently being clutched to the bosom. Most people think you are back for good, recognized as too important to be left out.

    I don't think you are a spook because they are wary of left-footers. But you are inside the Camel Corps loop and have been for years, possibly all your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A full time blogger with serious health problems but who does not dress like he is on incapacity benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Very Concerned Catholic11 June 2010 at 17:47

    No doubt you realize how much damage you have done to the Northern Cross. I am glad the old bishop died, he thought you were a saint. This is your level is it, getting your shady mates to go after the sort of people who are not priests but should have been for daring to disobey you? Plus students who are sometimes still in their teens for daring to criticize you. You are a nasty old school politician - civic, ecclesiastical and academic - with deeply dodgy associates all over the world and no apparent need to work for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon 00:04, the Senior Tutor had served with his dad in the War, the former Acting Principal who was still a tutor had worked with his dad, the oldest living old boy had married his parents and christened him, the wife of the retired Chaplain who was still hanging around seems to have been some sort of cousin. There might be more. He was also far friendlier with numerous academic staff than was at all normal for an undergraduate.

    He turned himself into a sort of institution before he had even graduated. Durham has spent the decade since providing means for this moderately qualified but highly sociable person to remain "a glittering ornament". Well-connected? I reckon he must be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr L without his cigar? Unthinkable!

    Dunelm is just bitter because he was never one of the 10-20 protégés you have had at Durham at any given time since you were a second year undergrad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering for years. I'd assumed you were just a benefactor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "No doubt you realize how much damage you have done to the Northern Cross."

    I am curious. As a recent discoverer of this blog can someone explain what damage has been done to the Northern Cross?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Very Concerned Atheist11 June 2010 at 20:38

    A benefactor? He just dresses like that. They pay him and give him free food and subsidised booze.

    "Plus students who are sometimes still in their teens for daring to criticize you" - if he had not been conveniently on a hospital bed that week one of them would have been sent down and his life ruined because of a previous spot of bother. Being one of David Lindsay's protégés must be nice but being one of his ex-protégés is not. He never forgives a traitor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suddenly it all makes sense. Who really wants the old right-wing Labour Party back? The same people who really want the old anti-America, anti-Israel, anti-Thatcher, anti-Churchill, anti-globalisation paleo-Tory party back. David Lindsay really believes these things, but putting them in writing buys him very powerful, totally unaccountable protection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can confirm that I have never claimed Incapacity Benefit.

    And that I still cannot find my bloody cigar cutter.

    On that note, it seems wisest to close this thread. Nothing further will be put up.

    ReplyDelete