Saturday 26 September 2015

Farewell to UKIP

Contrary to what UKIP's more excitable supporters often claimed, I never despised that party or its voters, although those voters were routinely misidentified as Northern and ex-Labour, which no result of any election ever bore out.

I always found UKIP a fascinating phenomenon. But I always said that if it came out of the 2015 General Election with even so much as one seat, then that would be the seat where Douglas Carswell was the incumbent.

And I always said that, since Carswell's old party had found it difficult enough to accommodate him, Carswell's new party would stand no chance whatever of doing so.

I mean nothing by this beyond the fact of it, but on both counts, I was right.

UKIP is over. That is all. It just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment