Sunday 18 October 2015

Tom Doesn’t Deserve The Ducking Stool

Nigel Nelson writes:

Skills I learned as a young man at journalism college included 100 words a minute shorthand - and how to hypnotise people.

I can still manage the shorthand. The hypnotism I abandoned long ago.

Sending people to sleep was not strictly a requirement for a journalism qualification, though you can see how it could help.

An interview with the PM might proceed along the lines: “ David Cameron you’re feeling relaxed, your eyes are getting heavy...let them close, David...just listen to my voice...and tell me all your secrets.” 

Of course that would be utterly unethical. But I picked up the knack from a lecturer who hypnotised a student after class.

And it became my party trick, entertaining guests by making someone pretend to be a dog or suchlike, sniffing and yelping round the room.

My friends thought I simply bored subjects into submission. I think they were trying to tell me something.

Then it began to go wrong. One young man I hypnotised declared his secret love for the girlfriend of his best mate to the embarrassment of all.

Another girl revealed abuse as a child, and kept drifting back into a trance. This was no longer funny, and I vowed never to do it again.

But it showed the dangers of messing with people’s minds. Which is why the light regulation of psychotherapists in this country is worrying.

In the 1990s the now discredited technique of recovered-memory therapy saw children making false claims of satanic abuse. It led to a witch hunt.

Another witch hunt is going on, but now it’s against Tom Watson after police dropped a rape inquiry against former Home Secretary Leon Brittan the Labour deputy leader urged them to pursue.

Tom and this newspaper have collected persuasive evidence of historical child abuse and a cover-up involving establishment figures.

Throughout our investigations we were conscious memory can play tricks, especially when it stretches back to a childhood many years ago.

Which is why allegations against 261 famous figures need careful consideration. And we look forward to the police completing their work.

But until they have the jury is out, and Tom doesn’t deserve the ducking stool.

No comments:

Post a Comment